Friday, October 24, 2008

I think I have a mouse...

...and I need someone to come and get it out of my room for me.

She walked into her room on a Friday night, 10pm, just got home from watching a movie with a friend. Exhausted from a long day of class, ready to crash. She stumbles into her room to put down her purse and get ready for bed. "Something does NOT smell right in here... What happened to my Kiwi air freshener...It can't be gone already, it always smells good in here..." she thought to herself. "...Oh NO it couldn't be could it ?" The first thought to cross her mind is....Dead mouse. Gross. "Oh man that smells bad, where is it coming from? I am so tired, I just want to go to bed, please, please God don't let there be a dead mouse in my room..." All she can think now is, what if it really was a mouse she heard rustling in the giant zip lock bags of winter clothes, stored in the corner, that she hear moving two weeks ago. Her roomate had even asked if there was a mouse too, she had also hear a rustling a few days later. However she had talked herself out of that notion rather quickly, "No, its not a mouse, don't be ridiculous. You live on the second floor, and there isn't any food or water in your room, you can't possibly have a mouse, it was just the bags sliding from the things you laid on top of them." A month later she walks into a room that smells, dare she think it, like a mouse died in there. "What am I going to do now. I can't possible move all of the stuff in my tornado zone of a bedroom tonight to look for a dead mouse. I really really don't have it in me to do that now. I will do it tomorrow. First thing, I will get up shower, and clean my room, really really well. I will box up everything I have been meaning to box up for two months and move it to the basement. Then it will be clean, and there will be no more nesting holes for mice, and if there is a dead mouse I will find it, and if not, I hope that smell goes away....gross..." And she can think is, "What if there really is a dead mouse?...I don't get queasy very easily, but I wish I had someone to call to come and get it out for me..."

How the the smell of possible dead mouse turned this single girls mind into another reason to long for a man, is not as absurd as it seems. The two guys closest by love animals too much, and might cry at the sight of dead mouse, and the other guys are not really close enough of friends to call and say, hey I think there is a mouse in my room dead somewhere would you please come over and help me find it...I can't face this alone... Most of them also have girlfriends, so it is awkward to just call them up, and pretty much everyone else would tell her to "suck it up and deal with it"....and she would think, "I have been doing that my whole life, please just come help me..."

The emotions that loneliness brings, and the things that remind someone they are "alone" in the sense of not having a significant other seem to the non-single ridiculous because they cannot remember that feeling anymore. However they are not ridiculous...they are very very Honest.

...Please Please don't be a dead mouse in my room...And couldn't you send me someone to call to come and get it out for me...if it really is there... it's kind of sad and gross at the same time, and just not fun to do by yourself...this moment, was a lesson for today...a reminder of the struggle of being on your own, grown up, and single, and the desire for someone you trust enough to ask to come get a dead mouse out from behind your bed, that won't judge you, and will love you all the more for it...

7 comments:

Liz said...

Aww honey, I get it. I haven't been single for a while, and i'll be honest, sometimes when my friends complain to me about their singleness, I have to stop for a second and put myself in their shoes before I go to say "It's not that bad, you'll be fine" or "stop focusing on it". Because I have journals full of my single woes. I was pretty bad. I think I'm the worst single person I know. So I get it, and I think I'd be even worse at this point in my life. A couple of months ago, we had a few baby birds stuck in the tube that connects our dryer to the outside, and my roommate called two guy friends over to fix it. Two of the birds were dead so our clothes smelled like dead bird after putting them in the dryer and then there was one still alive who kept chirping up a storm. #1 I would have never thought to call guys over, I would have just tried to figure it out myself. #2 When they did come over, I would have never thought to do the things they did. So in conclusion, it's nice having guys around. So I get it. :) In other news, I'm very proud of you - look at you, ms. real job, own place, ms. graduate - you're right, time for a new blog. I like it so far. And you look beautiful in that picture. :)

Anna said...

Hello blog friend =)

Yes, post-college alone life does suck sometimes... a lot of the times. I'd say something cliché like "we'll pull through" or "it gets better," but cliché = not so cool (or therapeutic, oh Marti...)

So instead I'll just say I love you and thanks for being honest.

Jeff said...

you have a blog! and you live close to me! (this is jeff by the way)

Carly Rose said...

write more write more!

Belinda said...

I enjoyed this post. You wrote it well and I wouldn't change a thing. Now...if only I couldn't understand the feelings in this post. If only I didn't understand from firsthand experience. :-P

Kiel said...

Woah, how did you find me?

Melissa said...

So I think you're larger audience of the world wide web are all burning with one question. Did you in fact have a dead mouse? Cause I know that you have had a mouse in residence but is it in fact dead, resting amongst your possessions? And if that is true, can you please write a story involving Rainbow Brite? Gracias y buenas noches.